As early as 1920, PIPC's parks were such popular weekend getaways that automobiles and buses bringing visitors to the parks were creating traffic jams in the surrounding towns, from Englewood Cliffs in New Jersey to Fort Montgomery, near Bear Mountain. The increasing popularity of the park, and the growing traffic that came with it, helped revive an idea that the Commission had first floated in 1909: to build a parkway along the top of the Palisades cliffs, from the New Jersey Section to Bear Mountain and Harriman State Parks. The project began moving in the 1930s, when John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who had accumulated thousands of acres of the Palisades over the years, offered to donate 700 acres of land for the Parkway. World War II interrupted the planning, and construction didn't begin until 1947. It was completed in 1958.
Stretching 42 miles from the George Washington Bridge to Bear Mountain, the Palisades Interstate Parkway is an unusual corridor characterized by separated opposing roadways, stone-faced bridges, turf shoulders, intensive landscaping, and substantial buffers between pavement and right-of-way limits.
The Parkway is limited to passenger cars and motorcycles only. Trucks and cars pulling trailers and cars or pickup trucks with commercial or combination plates are prohibited on the Parkway. Buses must have a permit.
The Palisades Interstate Parkway is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. www.parkwaypolice.org